The 2014 Wisden – MCC Cricket Photograph of the Year competition competition will be judged by:
• Chris Smith (Chairman of the Judging Panel) has been Chief Sports Photographer for various newspapers, including, for over 30 years, The Sunday Times. During this time he has covered every major event in the sporting calendar, in a diverse range of sports such as rugby, football, horse-racing, cricket, athletics, sailing and boxing. Chris has been British Sports Photographer of the Year four times, and winner of the Sports Picture of the Year award twice.
• Nigel Davies has been Art Director of The Cricketer magazine (formerly The Wisden Cricketer and Wisden Cricket Monthly) since 1997.
• Patrick Eagar is widely recognised as the doyen of cricket photography. After over forty years of covering the sport, he announced his retirement at the conclusion of the 2011 season. During his professional career he photographed 325 Test matches all around the world and has published thirteen books.
• Bob Thomas is owner and chairman of Popperfoto and has been a sports photographer since 1976 covering a wide range of international events including the Olympics, six Football World Cups and five European Football Championships. He has won the British Sports Photographer of The Year Award and the Fuji Sports Picture of the Year.
• Hugh Routledge has been covering high profile sports events for over four decades. Following four years at Sport and General he spent eight years at the Financial Times, followed by stints on The Mail on Sunday, 20 years on The Times and latterly The Sunday Times. Now a freelancer, he concentrates on horse-racing, including Royal Ascot and the Derby, but also covers other major events, including Test cricket, Wimbledon, the Masters and the Open Championship.
Patrick Eagar on what makes a great cricket photograph