Bookmark and Share

Warwickshire win CB40 Final

Recently appointed skipper Ian Bell scored a brilliant century to steer Warwickshire to victory in a thrilling Clydesdale Bank 40 Final at Lord's.

Bell made the right calls from the start at the Home of Cricket, winning the toss and opting to put Somerset in.

Somerset started in rapid-scoring fashion. Their captain, Marcus Trescothick, looked at his shot-making best steering the ball into gaps around the field - as the West Country side scored six boundaries in the first six overs.

Bell made his second correct call of the day - tossing the ball to Keith Barker for the first bowling change. The new man took a wicket with his first ball, tempting Trescothick into an attempted pull which he just skied to Chris Woakes.

Somerset's number three, Peter Trego went shortly before the other opener, Craig Kieswetter.

That left Nick Compton and James Hildreth at the crease at 81-3. Fifteen overs later they were both still there, Somerset were 176-3 and looking in control.

There weren't many boundaries but some electric running kept the scoreboard moving.

Tahir sparks collapse

A needless run-out sparked a collapse - Hildreth left well short of his crease.

Leg spinner, Imran Tahir, looked visibly lifted by that wicket and in a magical spell of two overs he took three wickets.

Tahir's celebratory runs around the outfield got even bigger as he took a fourth wicket just two overs later, Phillips caught by Bell having scored just one. At 180-8 Somerset were reeling.

After completing his five-for Tahir's delighted dance was cut short as he was mobbed by his team-mates.

Carter put the cap on the collapse in the penultimate over - Somerset all out for 199.

Chasing 200 to win should have been relatively straightforward for Warwickshire.

Warwickshire reply stutters

The Somerset bowlers were fired up though. Ben Phillips was in fearsome form and removed the dangerous Carter.

At the other end Alfonso Thomas was charging in too - striking Keith Barker on the grill of his shiny golden helmet.

Thomas eventually removed Barker in a more convential manner and Phillips got the dangerous Jonathan Trott. At 39-3 the total of 200 suddenly looked distant for Warwickshire.

Ian Bell, back in the Warwickshire side whilst he recovers from a broken foot, has only been the skipper for a matter of weeks.

The term 'captain's innings' is over used in cricket but Bell's knock was magnificent. He scored 107, the first one-day trophy century for five years, to steer his side home.

Brilliant Bell's century

Jim Troughton hung around long enough to see Bell and the Bears most of the way there but as wickets fell around him Bell continued to score cleverly.

It was unfortunate for the skipper he couldn't score the winning runs. One big swipe looked destined for the Pavilion concourse but Bell kicked at the turf as it fell short. Frustration got the better of him as he drilled a catch to Jos Buttler with just one run needed.

Woakes eventually hit the winning runs and the Warwickshire players leapt around on the boundary and then charged onto the outfield to celebrate.

It was cruel on Somerset who have now finished runners-up in three competitions: losing on the last ball of the Friends Provident Twenty20 Final; and in the last hours of the LV County Championship.

Warwickshire's sympathy will be drowned in champagne though - they saved their County Championship first division place on the final day of the season and have now added the Clydesdale Bank 40 trophy to that achievement.

Share this page

Back to Top