Marylebone Cricket Club – owners of Lord’s, the Home of Cricket – opened the Ground’s gates on Sunday (6th October) to host “Silver Sunday” – a City of Westminster initiative aimed at offering local residents, aged 65 and over, the chance to keep active in body and spirit, try new things and meet their neighbours.
The day saw more than 100 local residents to Lord’s enjoy watching inter-generational cricket matches on the Nursery Ground, take in a bespoke Tour of the Ground, and indulge in a traditional afternoon tea.
The teams competing on the field consisted of players from the local Tri-Borough wards of Westminster, Hammersmith & Fulham, and Kensington & Chelsea, in addition to including several MCC Playing Members. The event was enhanced throughout the day by the support of MCC staff volunteers, and employees of Club partner, J.P. Morgan.
Overseeing proceedings were the Lord Mayor of Westminster, Cllr Sarah Richardson, and Cllr Christabel Flight.
MCC Chief Executive & Secretary, Derek Brewer, said:
“MCC was absolutely delighted to host the inaugural Silver Sunday event at Lord’s, and feedback during and after the day has been very positive. It was fantastic to see so many local people enjoying a day out at the Ground, many of whom had either never been inside the gates, or had not done so for over 50 years.
“Thank you to everyone at Westminster City Council for helping to deliver the event and to all the volunteers from both J.P. Morgan and MCC. Silver Sunday is a superb initiative, and it has given the Club an excellent base from which to build on its community engagement and volunteering programmes in 2014.”
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
Founded in 1787 MCC is the guardian of the Laws and Spirit of Cricket, and represents an innovative independent voice in the world game. It is also the world’s most active cricket-playing club, and alongside fulfilling over 500 cricket fixtures every year, MCC also owns and maintains Lord’s Cricket Ground.
About Lord’s Cricket Ground:
The current Lord’s is the third incarnation of the Ground. The first was at Dorset Fields – now Dorset Square – and Thomas Lord opened a new ground in the Eyre Estate in St John’s Wood in 1809, and used it exclusively from 1811. However the Regent’s Canal was due to be built through the Ground, so a new site – the current Lord’s Ground – was established in 1814. Next year therefore marks the bicentenary of the Ground on its current site.
For further information on this story please contact:
MCC Media & Public Affairs Officer
Lord's Cricket Ground
Direct Line: 020 7616 8699
Mobile: 07929 348074