35.1 Out Hit wicket
35.1.1 The striker is out Hit wicket if, after the bowler has entered the delivery stride and while the ball is in play, his/her wicket is broken by either the striker's bat or person as described in Laws 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 (Breaking the wicket fairly) in any of the following circumstances:
220.127.116.11 in the course of any action taken by him/her in preparing to receive or in receiving a delivery,
18.104.22.168 in setting off for the first run immediately after playing or playing at the ball,
22.214.171.124 if no attempt is made to play the ball, in setting off for the first run, providing that in the opinion of the umpire this is immediately after the striker has had the opportunity of playing the ball,
126.96.36.199 in lawfully making a second or further stroke for the purpose of guarding his/her wicket within the provisions of Law 34.3 (Ball lawfully struck more than once).
35.1.2 If the striker puts his/her wicket down in any of the ways described in Laws 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206 before the bowler has entered the delivery stride, either umpire shall call and signal Dead ball.
35.2 Not out Hit wicket
The striker is not out under this Law should his/her wicket be put down in any of the ways referred to in 35.1 if any of the following applies:
- it occurs after the striker has completed any action in receiving the delivery, other than in 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168.
- it occurs when the striker is in the act of running, other than setting off immediately for the first run.
- it occurs when the striker is trying to avoid being run out or stumped.
- it occurs when the striker is trying to avoid a throw in at any time.
- the bowler after entering the delivery stride does not deliver the ball. In this case either umpire shall immediately call and signal Dead ball. See Law 20.4 (Umpire calling and signalling Dead ball).
- the delivery is a No ball.
35.3 Run scored
No runs shall be scored when the striker is dismissed Hit wicket other than one-run penalty for a Wide and any award of 5 Penalty runs.
© Marylebone Cricket Club 2017