In 2012 the Olympics are coming to Lord's - with archery events taking place at the Home of Cricket. Find out more about how Lord's will host the Olympics.
Lord's will welcome a total of 128 athletes competing for four gold medals (two individual and two team).
The events will run from 27 July to 3 August 2012 from 9am - 6pm. There will be two sessions a day with up to 5,000 spectators attending each session.
Additional temporary structures will be required to convert Lord’s for its use as an Olympic venue, including: an archery range; a warm-up range; temporary seating
for up to 5,000 spectators; spectator facilities and areas for athletes and officials.
There will also be: a preliminary competition range on the Nursery Ground; athlete areas; operational compounds within existing buildings; and a broadcast
compound, which will be located in the same area that is used during major cricket matches.
The action will take place against the backdrop of the historic Pavilion. Archers will shoot over ‘the square’ towards the Media Centre.
Spectators will be close to the action and will be seated in the temporary stands positioned on either side of the archers.
Afterwards, all temporary seats and the temporary facilities will be removed and Lord’s will return to being a world-class cricket venue.
What happens next?
- March 2010: Consultation and engagement with local residents, community representatives, Westminster City Council, and other key stakeholders.
- May 2010: Planning application submitted to Westminster City Council.
- 2010-2011: Ongoing discussions with residents, businesses, community representatives and other stakeholders.
- October 2011: A small-scale event will be held to test how the venue will run during the 2012 Games.
- July 2012: Work on temporary facilities begins.
- 27 July - 12 August 2012: London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Archery sessions from 27 July to 3 August 2012.
Keen to find out more?
Lord's are hosting a free exhibition with details of the archery events. The exhibition is in the President's Box at Lord's on:
Thursday 25 March: 4pm - 8pm
Friday 26 March: 12 noon - 4pm
Saturday 27 March: 11am - 3pm